Sunday, April 10, 2011

Designer Potatoes

"Potatoes are cheap, right? Well, that may be so when selling tubers by the 10-pound bag but a marketing company in the U.S. is selling its potatoes for more than $1 a piece. What it is doing is wrapping the pre-washed potato in an attractive package and putting a label on the wrap listing cooking and microwave instructions. " (FruitandVeggie.com)

Who would buy potatoes at more than $1 a piece? I buy a 10-pound bag of potatoes approximately every 1.5 - 2 weeks. Yes, we go through a lot of potatoes. The girls love potatoes especially smashed taters--as they call them--they have the leftovers as fry-ups the next night. Yummy!! If I bought these designer potatoes, we would be broke.

Complete article at:
Designer potatoes an example of access to high-value markets

Who doesn't know how to cook potatoes?
--
Juleigh

1 comment:

  1. I'm always shocked when I see those plastic wrapped potatoes but for some unknown reason a friend of mine thinks it's a brilliant idea and buys them. I making a first try at growing yellow finns this year. They've just arrived and I haven't planted them yet.

    ReplyDelete