Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible -- Book Review



The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible by Edward C. Smith. As often as I have manned the Plant a Row booth at shows or given talks about Plant A Row I have heard the same statement every time “I don't have the space, just a patio, deck or balcony.” This book answers the question what can I grow on these inhospitable hard surfaces. Soften them up with bold and beautiful planter of vegetables, herbs and edible flowers and shoots.

The book gives you container ideas that are nutritious and colourful. But lets start at the beginning, The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible covers pots, planting mixes, watering, fertilizing and bug control. I have always grown vegetables on my own balcony. Friends use to say driving down Finch Ave they could tell which apartment was mine. Even when I bought a house I have always done vegetable gardening in containers. When the children were small they loved harvesting the potatoes, Russian Banana—and others. Each child had their own vegetable box built for their height that grew taller as they did. I still grow herbs and sunflowers in containers. The sunflowers never fail to attract the gold finches.

Containers offer you less work such as digging & weeding with the reward of fresh, wholesome and nutritious food. This book will help you make it all happen on you patio, balcony or deck.
--
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment